Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Dave Grishaw-Jones: Wednesday in the Galilee

“It is not merely our own desire but the desire of Christ in His Spirit that drives us to grow in love. Those who seldom or never feel in their hearts the desire for the love of God and other men, and who do not thirst for the pure waters of desire which are poured out in us by the strong, living God, are usually those who have drunk from other rivers or have dug for themselves broken cisterns.”
Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island
I'm thinking today about the rivers I drink from, and how I might return (again and again) to the river of God's grace, the river of Christ's courage.  How easily I turn to despair for a deep gulp, or to cynicism, or to an almost overwhelming need to assign blame to SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE.  It's the Tea Party's fault.  Or it's the idiot talking on his cell phone while weaving through traffic.  Or it's my kid's fault for leaving dirty dishes all over the kitchen.

There's a lot of that here, in the Holy Land, these days.  Plenty of despair.  Plenty of blame to go around.  Plenty of reasons to pin the misery on the other guy.  I get it.  There's a lot of terrible stuff going on.  But the future lies, I think, in the direction of humility, even confession, and grace.

The river I love most is freer than despair and sweeter than blame, and it alone renews my soul and sets me free.  "It is not merely our own desire but the desire of Christ...that drives us to grow in love."  I'm tempted, almost every day, to drink from 'other rivers' and 'broken cisterns.'  But Jesus keeps coming back.  And the river flows on and on and on.

I think of him now, walking these streets, following the curves of these hills.  I think of his courage in loving God with all his heart and soul.  I think of his tenderness in edgy times.  I think of the love that has no end.

And that's my river.  That's the one.

One stop today was Mount Precipice, a site that recalls Jesus' dangerous escape, early on, when he chooses grace and commits to liberation.  Sorry for the goofy photo-op; but it had to be done! 
 
Mount Precipice, Nazareth
LUKE 4:  They got up, drove Jesus out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, so that they might hurl him off the cliff (precipice). But he passed through the midst of them and went on his way. 
Jim Hollister on Mount Precipice
Suzanne McLean reading from the Gospel on Mount Precipice
LUKE 4:  Jesus unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written: “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” 
 

Mosaic, Zippori
Ghassan Manasra with Rabbi Paula Marcus
Mount Tabor in the Galilee (Mount of Transfiguration)
MARK 9:  Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and John, and led them up a high mountain apart, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his clothes became dazzling white, such as no one on earth could bleach them. And there appeared to them Elijah with Moses, who were talking with Jesus. 
The light here in the Galilee is bright today, and the air is sweet with pine and spices.  It's a welcome relief for many in the group--who've been confounded and saddened by so much of what we've seen and heard this week.  Of course, we have it rather easy: we will pack up our luggage and return to the States next week.  I'm struck by the courage and perseverance of folks like Ghassan Manasra, Rami Elhanan, Rabbi Arik Ascherman, Amal Nasser, Sam Bahour and Usama Zoughbi--who will remain here, in this holy and suffering land, working for one another and hoping for peace.  May the light of this day shine especially bright and warm on them and those they love!